PHIMS Roles and Responsibilities
Only approved sites that have been granted access to the Public Health Information Management System (PHIMS) may request accounts for users. All account forms must be approved by the site’s Authorized Account Sponsor and submitted by the site’s Authorized Account Requestor.
Each site or organization must identify authorized account sponsor(s) and authorized account requestor(s) to the Shared Health Service Desk. Below are the roles and a brief description of their responsibilities.
Authorized Account Sponsor (AAS)
- Authorizes users at the site to access PHIMS.
- Accountable for user account requests (Add/Modify/Terminate).
- Accountable for user activity in PHIMS.
- Provides a yearly confirmation of all the Authorized Requestors for the site.
- Ensures staff receive orientation and ongoing training about site/regional privacy policies and procedures.
- Ensures all user(s) are PHIA compliant, and have signed a pledge of confidentiality.
- Ensures any privacy breaches or suspected breaches are investigated and PHIMS account termination is submitted when necessary.
**Only the current Authorized Account Sponsors can appoint new Sponsors and Requestors specific to the site. Please complete the PHIMS Authorized Sponsor and Requestor Information Form to make any adjustments.
Authorized Account Requestor (AAR)
- Completes and submits the Add/Modify/Terminate account request form to the Shared Health Service Desk.
- Compiles the users that require access to PHIMS in order to complete the tasks to perform their job.
- Verifies that PHIA training has been completed.
- Ensures Authorized Account Sponsor is aware of and approves all requests for PHIMS accounts and associated roles/permissions.
- Ensures each user is provisioned with appropriate role(s) in PHIMS.
- Ensures appropriate training has been provided to all new users (one-on-one or self- study), and users are aware of how to locate and access support material before and while using PHIMS.
- Verifies if a new user already has an existing Shared Health network account.
- Ensures users has completed an Authentication Questions and Answers form and that it has been submitted directly to the Shared Health Service Desk.
A person permitted to use the PHIMS application to view, use, or update client/patient information in the PHIMS System Database under the terms and conditions of the PHIMS Information Sharing Agreement.
Authorized Report Requestor
A designated representative from a First Nations Community who has the authority to request PHIMS reports from the First Nations and Inuit Health Branch (FNIHB), Indigenous Services Canada/Government of Canada.